Established May 9, 1854, by John D. Lee, Richard Woolsey, William R. Davis and others who had founded Harmony in 1852. County seat of Washington County until 1859. Headquarters of Mormon Mission to Lamanites 1853-1854.
The fort was finally abandoned in February 1862, following heavy storms that caused the walls to crumble and fall, the settlers founding New Harmony and Kanarraville. The wall was 300 feet square. Houses on east side were one story and wall 10 feet high; on west side two stories and wall 16 feet high. Kanarra and Harmony Creeks supplied water for irrigation.